Music Banter - View Single Post - Is pride illogical?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Before I comment on anything else, I'll just say that I do not believe in free will, and that the belief comes not from a higher power controlling us like puppets, but the combination of nature and nurture that shapes us and influences us into doing what we do.
Okay, I get that. Do you think that everybody is cut out to follow a certain path in their life, personally and professionally? For instance, somebody with a good career and a good salary is in that position because it was "meant to be"? (This is how I think about nature vs nurture in the context that you put it in). Or are they there because they've accomplished a series of goals along the way because it is a position/status in life that they actually wanted to reach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
When you boil it down to what a 'choice' is, it's neuron activity sending a pulse to your body to execute an action. We have far less control over that than we think we do imo.
So I don't have control over my thoughts or actions? I'm just trying to understand what you're saying here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
Pride is not illogical however if you misuse your pride and you spend time wanting to hurt others, then you will be miserable. I mean the problem is that some people use their pride to demean others. This is going on all over the world especially in the Western places. This is why Canada, USA, France, UK, and other Western entities are falling apart. I mean USA has a 16 trillion debt and they are going to pay big time and other western countries are going to be worse.
Canada's falling apart? Since when?
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote