Music Banter - View Single Post - Is pride illogical?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Okay, I get that. Do you think that everybody is cut out to follow a certain path in their life, personally and professionally? For instance, somebody with a good career and a good salary is in that position because it was "meant to be"? (This is how I think about nature vs nurture in the context that you put it in). Or are they there because they've accomplished a series of goals along the way because it is a position/status in life that they actually wanted to reach?
I honestly think those two ways of viewing how something transpires are both equally valid and can coexist without free will existing. As far as "meant to be", you're referring to destiny? I guess that's how I see it, so for example if science and technology had improved so vastly in the far future that we were able to monitor all brain wave activity and DNA, we could predict how someone's life would transpire to a T, from beginning to end. As far as that ever happening, probably pretty unlikely though I wouldn't put it out of the realm of computer science to develop a program that could map it.

Quote:
So I don't have control over my thoughts or actions? I'm just trying to understand what you're saying here.
Depends on how you define control I guess.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote