Music Banter - View Single Post - Is pride illogical?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Yes, I was using heart in the metaphorical sense. My point is there can be two conflicting thoughts in your head, and everyone has the potential to make a counter-intuitive decision. Which is exactly what free will is. It doesn't matter how much you boil it down to brain chemistry because even though you can...it doesn't change that in the way most people define it, we still have free will. The way you describe it, it sounds more concrete. Like you will never be able to escape your brain. While that may be true, consider what I said about the brain being dynamic. Everyone has the potential to CHANGE their brains, which is itself also a part of free will.

But to play along...I hate grits. And I'm from the south, which I guess is weird.
Ok, can you pinpoint for me the time in your lifewhere you realized you disliked the taste of that food and do you think you chose to dislike the taste of it? Could you choose at any given moment to like that food if you wanted to?

I would apply that same logic to anything you like or dislike, and I know that isn't exactly definitive proof of lack of free will but at the very least it's a basic illustration of what I'm getting at. Most real life scenarios involve a lot more variables that make it hard to pinpoint why we do what we do.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote