Music Banter - View Single Post - Is pride illogical?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Ok, can you pinpoint for me the time in your lifewhere you realized you disliked the taste of that food and do you think you chose to dislike the taste of it? Could you choose at any given moment to like that food if you wanted to?

I would apply that same logic to anything you like or dislike, and I know that isn't exactly definitive proof of lack of free will but at the very least it's a basic illustration of what I'm getting at. Most real life scenarios involve a lot more variables that make it hard to pinpoint why we do what we do.
While it's a clever way to make a point, there have been plenty of foods I used to dislike and now like. Mashed potatoes, for one. I used to hate the texture, now I can't get enough of them. I made a conscious decision to try again and they grew on me. Free will in action.

I think you are confusing conscious action with subconscious persuasion. While it may seem you don't have a choice in how your subconscious mind is influencing you, you actually do. That is the part of your brain that will suppress a horrible memory, and while you didn't consciously decide to do that, it was still YOU that made the decision. Your brain is you, after all. We know far too little to make any philosophical claims about all that, though.