Music Banter - View Single Post - Is pride illogical?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
That is not the same thing, tastes evolve just like everything else. Exposure to other food can prompt interest in older, disliked foods and increase one's palate. Recognition that one's palate is expanding is a common part of growing up, leading to more experimentation. I went through the exact same thing. No different from being able to appreciate a deeper film as you mature.

In no way does that show you chose to enjoy a food, the appeal of it's taste is simply beyond your control.

Another hypothetical to illustrate it: if you're invited to a dinner at a guests house and they are serving grits, are you telling me you can choose to appreciate or dislike it on a dime? Because all I got from your post was that their was environmental influenced that prompted your conversion.
I see what you are saying, but this is still a huge leap going from "you can't control what foods you like" to "there is no free will". Liking or not liking something I suppose is out of our control...like not liking a sun burn. I don't know many people who enjoy those. Why do we not enjoy them? Because they cause us discomfort. Causing comfort or discomfort...liking or not liking...sure, I can't say we can do much about that. We can still control what we do about it, though. Just as most people will avoid the sun or use sunblock, there are still some idiots that will march right out there and take a nap at noon under the sun.