Music Banter - View Single Post - Is pride illogical?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Do you mean equilibrium as in where no further reaction is possible? Or dynamic equilibrium (where a reaction is reversible, resulting in an ongoing two way reaction but a steady amount of reactants/products
I think you are reading too much into the terms I am using. I'm not trying to say the universe is like a chemistry reaction...I was just using that as a comparison.

Quote:
Even animals aren't always in Dynamic (?) equilibrium with the environment. They can change their own environment (overfeeding etc) to a point where it can't recover until they adapt or die out. One could argue we are doing the same to the planet.
I said in my post that the universe is trying to reach an equilibrium. It's called entropy. Right now there are too many complex factors to predict what that will actually look like. We can see it on a small scale as unfit organisms go extinct while other species that have established their places on the food chain continue their lives. Anytime this is disrupted, it is because of a shift in the equilibrium and not because one of the animals "decided" to screw something up. There are plenty of organisms that we don't even know about that go extinct every year.

Quote:
Tuna's universe is one where we can predict exactly what is going to happen based on all previous factors and all existing conditions of the entire universe. If that was possible, then it would possible to know exactly how humans have/will overcome their environment, but the fact that it could be determined wouldn't prevent the outcome.

But you're saying if everything could be perfectly predicted, it would result in...a dynamic equilibrium (everything remaining constant/being cyclical)? If that's the case then I disagree.
I am saying that the world IS perfectly predictable...hence the universal equation I mentioned a few posts back. I'm saying in Tuna's world, it is perfectly predictable and without free will...which creates a stagnant universe that constantly just recreates itself the same way over and over. If the universe is contracting in on itself and another Big Bang occurs, then this only proves my point. It is the human element of free will (or any species with self awareness, I guess) that is unpredictable and is able to create something against this equilibrium.

Imagine a world of robots. We can all agree that by the definition of "robot", they would have no free will, right? Let's say they are also programmed to adapt to the environment as it changes. Will a robot ever innovate and invent something to give itself a leg up against the environment? No.