Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #54 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuingchange View Post
Ok ok. I'll restate my initial question. What I meant to ask was, has music stopped making large innovations? Has music hit a wall creatively? Do you think music, in its current form has reached the end of its creative possibilities?
No, no, and no. Though, historically I don't know how many innovations I'd describe as "large", I certainly don't see a decrease in innovation overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuingchange View Post
Have you seen large innovations that took the world by storm since Kurt Cobain popularized alternative, or since EVH popularized that style of guitar playing?
Not sure how to answer this since I don't agree with the assumptions you're making. Kurt Cobain didn't single-handedly popularize alternative, and even if he had, I don't see how simply popularizing something that already exists is particularly innovative. As far as Eddie Van Halen goes: He was certainly influential, but is his guitar style really a "large innovation"? I'd say not really.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote