Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #116 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Name recognition and sales of records, though not the same, are synonymous in their implications, I think, pursuingchange. While people may not be familiar with Dizzee Rascal if you went and asked some cats off the street, his influence on the Hip Hop genre can't be denied, and the sales prove that he was not only an influence but was something a million people were looking for (or, perhaps, five hundred thousand people who are very clumsy with their belongings).

Look at Velvet Underground or Captain Beefheart as well. VU were extremely infamous in their day, as well as innovative, taking pop music to boundaries not yet explored. They were taken on by a few well-known critics, but their album sold for shit (10000 in the initial year or something). It's been said, though, that every person who bought one of those albums went out and formed a band. Captain Beefheart is nowhere near a household name, unless you're really into experimental music, fish with hats, or the year 1967. However, he was a true innovator, creating a type of music that i don't even think has been as jarring in context since. I'm not entirely familiar with Free Jazz, I'll admit, but that wasn't his only massive contribution to the popular realm of music.

Hence, familiarity as well as sales aren't the best way to judge innovation, influence, or originality. To this guy, you know.

Also, i'm responding to something brought up way ago so sorry for being late.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote