Music Banter - View Single Post - Best opening songs?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post

**** the Beatles, this is when British music changed forever.
That's for the real and now worldwide official version. Like the Hendrix album I mentioned a couple of posts back, the first US edition was with a different track order. In The 60's Tower Records was the name of a sub-division of Capitol, and they decided to play a Meet the Beatles on this legendary album. Thankfully, they left Saucerfull and More alone.

First, the good news, at least this was the opener for the US edition.

Now, the ultra bad. The original opener, the original version of Astronomy Domine, was whacked off the American versions of the album all together for a long time, both in it's Tower release and even the US edition of A Nice Pair which substituted the original for the Ummagumma live version. For years, Stateside fans had to rely on a good Import bin for the full version of the album.

The odd thing was that Tower had something of a major interest in See Emily Play, which was released I think about THREE times as a single, two as a regular release in '67 and, going from my memory after reading the Pink Floyd Archives - please correct if wrong, one DJ Promo only release in 1968, just when Syd was out of the band.

Last edited by Screen13; 12-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote