Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #1632 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Merry Christmas --- Mariah Carey --- 2008 (Columbia)

If I had to pick one female singer I despised above all others, I think it would be Mariah Carey. It was she, after all, who started this whole trend of dragging a note out to the nth degree, as if doing that is going to make you sound better, and now they're all doing it. I also tend to call her the "ghost singer" (among other names!) as she makes a sound when singing reminiscent of a spirit haunting some lonely hallway: "Whooo--whooaa---ooohhhhh--woh-woah," You know the sort of thing. Hey look, I never said these reviews would be unbiased! In fact, if anything, they're totally biased.

Unlike Lionel, she can't resist the temptation of putting on some original songs here, so in addition to the expected (dreaded, in my case) "All I want for Christmas is you", we get two more self-penned ditties, in "Miss you most (at Christmas time)" and "Jesus born on this day." Other than that, it's the usual mix of "Joy to the world", "Silent night", "God rest ye" and so on. Pretty generic really, but given that added annoyance of having to listen to Carey's voice drone on and on throughout the album. Fair put me off me Christmas dinner, it would!

TRACKLISTING

1. Silent Night
2. All I Want For Christmas Is You
3. O Holy Night
4. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
5. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
6. Joy To The World
7. Jesus Born On This Day
8. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
9. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing/Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)
10. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child
11. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Last edited by Trollheart; 12-23-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote