Music Banter - View Single Post - Human Behaviour
Thread: Human Behaviour
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #62 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
QFT.

I hold doors for people because I was taught that it is a polite thing to do. Most of the time people do say thanks or something along those lines, but I don't expect it. They don't owe me anything. I do nice things for people because that's how I am - I don't do them to gain approval or anything of the sort.
I think this could come down to a cultural thing though. British people on the whole are very polite and expect it back although this sort of chivalry, if you will; is disappearing. We even thank our bus drivers for the journey even though it's their job. It's just how we are and YES we don't have to get a response but we generally do so when you don't it winds you up. It's not about gaining approval either, it's about respect and it feels like ignorance to me if someone doesn't acknowledge an act that you are doing for them even if it is trivial.

Bollocks then, I am slamming that door shut on you all now, mothers with prams, elderly with walking sticks - all of you.

The amount of times I have seen US programmes where no one says please or thank you when getting served winds me up so much but I guess it's not as important there? I am asking not stating BTW.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote