Music Banter - View Single Post - Human Behaviour
Thread: Human Behaviour
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #64 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I think this could come down to a cultural thing though. British people on the whole are very polite and expect it back although this sort of chivalry, if you will; is disappearing. We even thank our bus drivers for the journey even though it's their job. It's just how we are and YES we don't have to get a response but we generally do so when you don't it winds you up. It's not about gaining approval either, it's about respect and it feels like ignorance to me if someone doesn't acknowledge an act that you are doing for them even if it is trivial.

Bollocks then, I am slamming that door shut on you all now, mothers with prams, elderly with walking sticks - all of you.

The amount of times I have seen US programmes where no one says please or thank you when getting served winds me up so much but I guess it's not as important there? I am asking not stating BTW.
I always thank bus drivers/streetcar operators when I use them, as well. I even thank people who serve me my food, coffee, what have you, when I order it.

I've noticed that general impoliteness runs rampant among Americans. I am not saying that all are like that, but I have been across the border a few times even just to do some shopping (on a couple of occasions). Each time I noticed a stark difference in manners between Canadians and Americans, especially in terms of saying "thanks/thank you", "excuse me", "pardon/pardon me" (the worst alternative to that is HUH which is something they say a lot I think)... stuff like that.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote