Music Banter - View Single Post - Human Behaviour
Thread: Human Behaviour
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #65 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Or when guys with ugly ass girlfriends give you the stare down like they're daring you to check out their girlfriend.
haha, Yes this happens a lot. Always hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I think this could come down to a cultural thing though. British people on the whole are very polite and expect it back although this sort of chivalry, if you will; is disappearing. We even thank our bus drivers for the journey even though it's their job. It's just how we are and YES we don't have to get a response but we generally do so when you don't it winds you up. It's not about gaining approval either, it's about respect and it feels like ignorance to me if someone doesn't acknowledge an act that you are doing for them even if it is trivial.

Bollocks then, I am slamming that door shut on you all now, mothers with prams, elderly with walking sticks - all of you.

The amount of times I have seen US programmes where no one says please or thank you when getting served winds me up so much but I guess it's not as important there? I am asking not stating BTW.
Well, despite the fact that I don't care if people don't thank me for things, I do thank others in the fashion that you're talking about. I say thank you to bus drivers and food servers, and even cab drivers as I hand them their money (plus tip) for doing their job. I think most Americans thank people who work in the service industry. I just didn't know that most get angry when their thanks isn't acknowledged.

Along those lines, I do have a pet peeve in this realm. When you thank somebody for something and instead of saying nothing or just giving a slight nod (both of which are totally acceptable to me), they say "Mhm" or "Sure" or "No Problem" or, god forbid, "No Worries". I'd much rather hear nothing than those meaningless words. I already know I wasn't creating a 'problem' or a 'worry' so just say "You're Welcome" or be humbly quiet.