Music Banter - View Single Post - Human Behaviour
Thread: Human Behaviour
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #78 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I think most people casually accept "no problem" but I personally think it sounds crude unless you've asked somebody to go above and beyond their normal call of duty in which case they may say "not at all" or something.
I guess it's generally acceptable as a laid back alternative to "you're welcome" in everyday life.
In a professional setting, however, saying "no problem" translates to "Dude, I'm still just a kid so this is the best way I know how to say you're welcome." So if you ever have a job where you regularly talk to clients that spend a lot of money on your services you'll quickly learn not to say "no problem" when they thank you.
Again, depends on culture/location. Here in jolly old Ireland we respond with things like "You're grand", "Not at all", "Not a problem" (different to "no problem"), "Sure why wouldn't I?" and others, depending on what the thanks is for. For instance, "Thanks for looking after my kid while I went to the dentist" could elicit the response "Sure why wouldn't I?" or "It's no problem" or "You're grand", whereas "Thanks for saving my life (!)" might get something more formal, like "You're welcome," or even very welcome.

Oh yeah, we also use this, which I know will bug/mystify people over there. It's not so much a thank-you, but a response nevertheless. If someone asks, for instance, "Can I borrow the salt off your table", we usually say "Work away."

We're polite in Ireland (mostly) to the point of stereotype!

Apart from the ignorant ****ers I spoke of in my original post, of course...