Music Banter - View Single Post - Famous Musicians You Respect as People
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

There are so many people worthy of respect in the music business ! Frank Zappa is a good choice because of his humour and intelligence.( Although Eric Burdon probably wouldn`t agree; he described a project he did with FZ as "like working with Hitler" )

Leaving aside their musical talents and acheivements, here are some other reasons for respecting various musicians :-

(i) for breaking down barriers and conventions ( John Lennon and Chuck Berry spring to mind )
(ii) for bringing attention to social issues ( Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Fela Kuti)
(iii) for battling personal difficulties ( Tina Turner, Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett, Ian Dury )
(iv) for using their success for the greater good ( Bob Geldoff and countless other charity performers )

Not so easy to admire is Gary Glitter, however much we may cherish his music.

Also the guy in Green Day, who I saw once in a television interview. He was grumbling because his album release was overshadowed by media attention celebrating the anniversary of the publication of George Orwell`s 1984 and he concluded his complaint by saying, "George Orwell was an idiot anyway" - a remark that stuck in my mind as being overweening and petulant.

Another guy low on my admiration list is Kurt Cobain. I appreciate that he had lots of personal problems and professional pressure, but consider this:-
Quote:
When Cobain was seven years old, his parents divorced. Later in his life, he said the divorce had a profound effect on his life. His mother noted that his personality changed dramatically; Cobain became defiant and withdrawn. In a 1993 interview, he elaborated:

"I remember feeling ashamed, for some reason. I was ashamed of my parents. I couldn't face some of my friends at school anymore, because I desperately wanted to have the classic, you know, typical family. Mother, father. I wanted that security, so I resented my parents for quite a few years because of that."
Despite emoting about the trauma of his parent`s divorce, KC didn`t seem too concerned about his own daughter, whom he subjected to a far more troubling event. This poor girl will presumably go through live with a gaping question-mark in the middle of her soul, " Why didn`t my dad love me enough to stick around for me ?" Shame on you, Kurt.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote