Music Banter - View Single Post - The stupid facebook status thread.
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

How about this one?

"I know none of you want to see this and I wish I didn't have to share it, if you have any nasty comments I would prefer them to be said away from my eyes and ears. "

This was attached to a pic of an animal that had been subjected to animal testing. I have absolutely no issue with this person wanting to make people aware of this and campaign for it to stop. I fully agree with them in principle.

What I do have issue with is:

1) - Just because you don't feel you could have not posted something, does not mean you did not in fact have the option to not post it. Please don't imply that you're forced to do things you aren't, especially if you use that as a rationale to post stuff that other people may find disturbing, which is to say, pictures of mutilated animals.

2) - If you're going to post something like that, you clearly feel strongly about it. That's fine. But please don't act as if you can (or should be able to) dictate who contributes to your discussion of this based on whether they agree with you or not. Discourse does not work that way. No matter how correct you may be, no matter how righteous your cause, you cannot post inflammatory material that you KNOW is inflammatory, point out that it is inflammatory, then try and deny not only the voicing of, but the existence of, an alternative viewpoint. (Even if that viewpoint is wrong)

Personally, I think if someone is going to be so righteous and believe so strongly in something, they should be prepared to defend their views to those who may think otherwise. Anything less simply feels like copping out and neglecting to take responsibility for ones own actions, whether they be right or wrong in their assertions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote