Music Banter - View Single Post - A piano question. Opinions strongly welcomed.
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
silverneccho
Groupie

Default A piano question. Opinions strongly welcomed.

I am interested in hearing a opinion involving the learning curve for me on the piano.

I had piano lessons for a few years, between age 8 and 12. I believe I was in the 2nd grade learning level. I never excelled at learning the piano at the time because I was not interested.

I also learned how to play the trumpet. I was okay but could have been much better for reasons I expressed in my last paragraph.

Now singing is my forte, no doubt there. As a kid in a traditional church, I used to sing my heart out. The congregation was extremely into the music as well with everyone in the church singing to their max. It was something I loved doing all the time. I would often get compliments from our minister after certain rare upbeat hymns. When I was 13 my mother got the family into voice lessons. She wanted to rid her voice of the nasal quality while she also wanted to teach my utterly tone-deaf step-father to sing. I only got better with lessons, most of what she taught, me and my mother instinctively already knew. I had a powerful voice and I used it.

As a child I messed around with many instruments. I played my mothers psaltery, not much talent there. I also had a guitar, harmonica and penny whistle. I enjoyed playing music but the learning curve discouraged me.

My mother on the other hand is a prodigy. She is an expert at many different instruments. She can sing, play flute, play saxophone, play trombone, could easily learn trumpet. She can also play piano, harp, and the violin.

I want to take on piano again. I was taught to read music but I also wish I could play by ear. I have a feeling that piano at this point may be harder for me than it was before because of how I left in my training.

Do you believe that my musical history, of playing and of being around the music of my mother is harmful or beneficial to learning today?
silverneccho is offline   Reply With Quote