Music Banter - View Single Post - Fight videos
Thread: Fight videos
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Actually I thought they're called "pikeys" but I didn't know how offensive that term is, and I like the sound of "gypsies" better.
In the film they call themselves "travellers" and, in any case, they're a lot like Brad Pitt's family in Snatch, which was the first, and only, time I'd even heard of these people until I saw Knuckle.
Wikipedia tells me that there are 10,000 to 40,000 of them living in the US. Weird.
Yeah "pikeys" is more of an English offensive term for them, here people usually call them "tinkers", "knackers" or more officially "travellers". The problem with the term "gypsy" is that it's a broader term and can refer to other gypsies such Roma gypsies from mainland Europe etc.

I've seen Knuckle a couple of times and it is a very accurate portrayal of what goes on with these families. One of the families featured in the film, the Joyces, are originally from my home town and these are not people you would want to even think about messing with.

Another guy in the film actually killed his wife not so long ago:
Bare-knuckle boxer’s torment as wife found murdered - National News - Independent.ie