Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #1639 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Ultimate Christmas --- The Beach Boys --- 1998 (Capitol)

Whether you see it as the title above or the later-released "Christmas with The Beach Boys" --- essentially exactly the same album, released six years later and with one track removed --- there can't be anyone you would tend to associate Christmas with less. The Beach Boys have an image of, and sing about, sun, surfing, babes, beaches, all that sort of stuff that takes place under the hot bright California sunshine. So to hear them singing Chritmas songs, song about snow and winter and mulled wine and what have you --- well, it just seems weird.

It's a damn huge album too, containing a total of nineteen tracks, twenty-six if you include all the remixes, alternate versions and Christmas messages. It's pretty much a collection of every Christmas song the Beach Boys ever recorded, and I guess to their credit there's very little on the album that's not one of their own original compositions. If you're a fan you'll know the likes of "Little Saint Nick", "The man with all the toys" and "Merry Christmas baby". I'm not a fan --- can't stand them personally, and this record does nothing for me. To rub salt into the wounds they include a cover from another of my least favourite artistes, Elvis, whose "Blue Christmas" they do a passable version of.

I guess it's fun, but really, it all comes across as a little silly and hard to take seriously. Songs about winter fires and snow falling, snowmen and cold nights are all just a little out of place when you know the guys went surfing after recording these songs. Baby it's cold outside? Not for these guys, I'll wager.

TRACKLISTING

1. Little Saint Nick
2. The Man with All the Toys
3. Santa's Beard
4. Merry Christmas, Baby
5. Christmas Day
6. Frosty the Snowman
7. We Three Kings of Orient Are
8. Blue Christmas
9. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
10. White Christmas
11. I'll Be Home for Christmas
12. Auld Lang Syne
13. Little Saint Nick
14. Auld Lang Syne
15. Little Saint Nick
16. Child of Winter (Christmas Song)
17. Santa's Got An Airplane
18. Christmas Time Is Here Again
19.Winter Symphony
20. (I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
21. Melekalikimaka (aka "Kona Christmas")
22. Bells of Christmas
23. Morning Christmas
24. Toy Drive Public Service Announcement
25. Dennis Wilson Christmas Message
26. Brian Wilson Christmas Interview

Last edited by Trollheart; 12-23-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote