Music Banter - View Single Post - 12-12-12 Sandy Relief Concert
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I have already seen some negative comments around the web, I can imagine it would be a million times worse if Paul tried to sound like Kurt. Paul doesn't need to sound like anyone but himself.
I never expected Paul to sound like anyone but himself, I wouldn't have wanted him to try singing like Kurt or anything. He sounded just fine. I just felt the music was very plain "hard rock" style as compared to Nirvana's sound. More like Foo Fighters I guess, who I don't enjoy, and I shouldn't be surprised. Kind of the way Janes Addiction, Soundgarden and the like have evolved into an average hard rock sound. For all we know that's where Nirvana would be right now if they were still together anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bullet View Post
When I first heard about this, I imagine Paul singing Smells Like Teen Spirit and twitched a little. I was glad to see they wrote new (good) material. I don't think they should've billed it as a Nirvana reunion, though. Not only did they not have Kurt (and obviously never could), but they didn't play any Nirvana songs.
Agreed, I never liked the term reunion in relation to this. Three members are joined by an external singer to write and perform one song, with no covers, that's not a reunion as much as it is a "supergroup" type one-off benefit collaboration. But hey, "reunion" gets people to look.