Music Banter - View Single Post - Does drunkenness expose a person for who they really are?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I agree with Manky. There's no reason why you would suddenly say something drunk which you would never say sobre, unless there's some deep-seated and hidden desire to have said it at some point. So, someone who has fancied a girl, lets say, for months but never plucked up the courage might be emboldened (or to use Burning Down's favourite phrase, embiggened!) to say what's in their heart (or their pants, more likely!) and someone who's resented another person will be more likely to tell them to their face when drunk.

The thing is, I feel, we all have these impulses but our brains, when clear of alcohol, tell us not to be so stupid; you can't say that. It puts forward various reasons, such as you'll get your teeth knocked out or she'll laugh at you, or what will other people say? Alcohol lulls your brain to sleep, shows it some dirty pictures and keeps it occupied while you are then free to express yourself in a way you would never do otherwise.

But those feelings are there. They have to be. Even in the most basic root level, if you were to for instance make a play for a girl you've never even seen before, or take offence to someone's tone, the genetic memory is at work there, and your caveman self is waking up and climbing out his cave and he does NOT like to be disturbed, and is not shy about showing it!

Having said all this, I have been drunk precisely twice in my life. I can thankfully say both times I was what would be described as "a happy drunk", though these days if I drink too much I just fall asleep. I have certainly noticed the behaviour of others when drunk though, and I think that supports the arguement,

Hey! Did you spill my pint??!!!