Music Banter - View Single Post - Does drunkenness expose a person for who they really are?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Perhaps a little bit, but I think the most important thing to keep in mind about inebriation is that it lowers inhibitions. So yes, while someone might say something they wouldn't have said sober, a drunk person is also liable to do completely idiotic things they wouldn't have done sober, such as throwing bikes into the local canal. Does this mean that person harbors a secret desire to throw all bikes into canals while sober? Likely not. Furthermore, I've known blackout drunk people to flat-out lie and speak with all the conviction they could muster. No, I do not think alcohol is a truth serum. In fact, I take things that are said and done under the influence with a bigger grain of salt than I would in sober circumstances.
I see what you're saying on one hand, but then again I can't relate cause I've never done anything as stupid and selfish as throwing bikes in a canal while drunk. But with something like that you have to explore why someone would do that, even if they were drunk?

I would guess it evokes some statement of freedom and the thrill of doing something you're not supposed to be doing, while ignoring society's teaching of do unto others..., not to mention cause and effect. Hard to say how much that defines a person though, and why they do stupid acts like that and other people don't.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote