Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #71 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I believe the idea that if guns are outlawed, criminals will still have them at the same frequency, is basically wrong. I think in a society where the regular guy won't be able to legally own a gun, a lot of people who would commit criminal acts won't have guns either. One reason could be that, despite them doing something criminal, they don't have criminal connections that can get them a gun prior to the criminal act. As an example, let's say two guys crash their cars and they start a fight. If one of them has a gun in the car, that fight could escalate and become a murder. If none of them have a gun, the likelyhood of things going that far decreases.

Also, if noone has guns, a criminal may not need that kind of power to f.ex rob someone. The threat of a knife or unarmed violence could be enough. Or maybe, lacking guns, they'll more often opt for criminal activities which do not require confrontations.

So I'm a big believer that less guns in society in general means less guns in the hands of criminals. When I'm sober, I'm sure I can find some studies to back that up.
I understand all of that and even agreed with Duga on the fact. My point was that the people who would be handing over guns voluntarily would be people such as myself not criminals who are the basis for the argument originally. That is where the problem lays, you have to take away more civilian rights in order to attain this goal which then leads to more asinine takings of civil liberties.

I'm obviously against the taking of innocent life but I will never surrender to the fact that I should not have the right to bear arms. And drink up Tore its gonna be a long weekend, why search for URL'S that i'll never agree with anyway.