Music Banter - View Single Post - 12 For '12: Anteater's Top Albums Of 2012
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

I'm glad you are...because it just gets better and better.

11. Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth

You know what really sucks when it comes to the Metal music umbrella? There's just too many awesome records to choose from throughout a 365 day cycle! And the subgenres, oh the subgenres...goddamn: Why does there have to be so much talent out there? xD

Still, this is one band that people should always pay attention to, regardless of the year in question. Considered to be something of a 2nd tier thrash band (alongside Iced Earth and others) by the mainstream during the golden late 80's/early 90's despite being just as good (if not better) than the Big Four, questioning the legitimacy of Testament as far as metalhood goes is the equivalent of sacrilege, AKA lets-burn-you-at-the-stake-for-heresy.

That being said, there's never been a better time to get into the band than 2012: Dark Roots Of Earth is a motherfuckin' monster of a record, and undoubtedly the best set of songs they've brought into the recorded realm since 1988's The New Order. The songwriting and performance chemistry between guitarist Alex Skolnick and vocalist Chuck Billy has never been better! While the artwork is about as awe inspiring as they come, the whole thing has that instant-classic quality to it's sense of groove that gives the critically lauded early 90's output from Pantera and Metallica's Black Album a run for their money....hell, make it a goddamn marathon.

Highlights are innumerable really, but my favorite cuts here include the thudding title track, the atmospheric yet sludgy 'Animal Magnetism'...and an anthemic yet deliciously scuzzy tour-de-force by the name of 'Dragon Attack'! Most of you will probably find a favorite of your own before long however...

This has been a wonderful year in metal in all shapes and forms, but as far as more traditional styles go, the album art that graces this fantastic record is undoubtedly the face that we'll look back upon in years to come. Long live the veterans!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-14-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote