Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #76 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I think this seems rather close minded. There are plenty of countries with stricter gun laws and less violence which still has fair civil liberties. It's perfectly possible. Why not learn from that?

One could argue that some sort of principle that you should maximize your amount of civil liberties is anti-societal. After all, society is about giving up freedoms that you'd otherwise have for the benefit of everyone. You give up the right to kill and rob others because that makes it better for everyone, you included (unless you're a robber/killer). Similarly, you should be prepared to give up your right to own guns if that makes it better for everyone. That should be the principle; increased life quality for the people who live in society. Not maximum freedom.
I guess you would have to look at it from my perspective then. I look at it from the perspective its a hobby and something I collect. I don't look at it as giving me the ability to rob and kill people. I will agree with you that it would be possible as evidenced by other countries, but it would cost me one of main passions in life, so I guess close minded may be a decent analyzation in a sense.

I will point out one thing, you are clearly only looking at it from the gun law side of things. How is it better for a gun owner and one who follows the rules and does it recreationally to give up his guns? I paid my hard earned money to attain these weapons, took extensive classes on how to not only fire them but break them down. Where does this money come from to replace these said weapons the Govt? Obviously with the National debt skyrocketing that would create another problem and obviously involve some type of tax on the people which includes me. Would i be paying taxes to take my own guns away from myself to better the people?