Music Banter - View Single Post - Mod Idol 2013
Thread: Mod Idol 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #65 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
It ends up being a lot of work. The biggest thing you should know about being a Mod if you (anyone) is considering it is that a lot of people go through natural cycles of being engaged with the site, and not being engaged. Mod's with a sense of responsibility will have to fight through the low-points to come here and maintain the site even when they want a break.

We had a Mod who was gone for almost 90% of his tenure at one point, and it was nothing but a death-grip on power. A good Mod in my mind will be fair, slow to take actions against established members, and enforce the rules equally across the board. Moreoever, when they find they can't commit to their responsibilities any longer, they'll step down. That last one is absolutely key.

Being able to change your own avatars is nice, approving your own journals is fun, but if you've ever been here when no Mods are on and spammers are running wild, its pretty ****ty to know 1 or 2 Mods are traveling the globe without internet access but won't step down because of an ego trip.

Edit: I'd also like to add that they should be engaged with the community. I think, like police officers, the difference between being a part of the community, or just overseeing it is a world of difference. When Mod's are active in discussions all over the place, it gives them a better sense of where people's positions are so when someone makes a stupid mistake, its judged in the larger scheme of the constributions and not as a one-off misstep.
Very insightful. Thanks for really showing me what you all go through. It's more of an unsung hero position than I figured, especially when you need to do your job and get a whacked out ****er that won't go away. I've laid fallout email addys in place before for signing on to not so trustworthy sites, etc. and I can imagine that could go a long way in a mod's world. Common sense can go a long way as usual, salutations to the ones that make the everyday browsing here spam free.