Music Banter - View Single Post - Norwegian Music
Thread: Norwegian Music
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
The number of Norwegian artists in my collection is still fairly limited. If you have any sort of interest in electronic or ambient music you should definitely give Biosphere a listen, if you haven't done so already of course. His 1997 album Substrata is considered an ambient masterpiece and rightly so. He's based in Tromsø and Substrata has a cool Arctic feel to it.

Other than that I could list some black metal bands that you have probably heard anyway, or don't care about, but Ulver in particular definitely deserve a mention. While their first three albums are black metal with folk influences, their more electronic and progressive stuff from Perdition City onward is incredible and are a band I'd definitely recommend to everyone.
Biosphere I'm sure I've heard of, but I've never listened an album. I happen to like a lot of ambient music, so I'll definitely check that out Of Ulver, I've heard some of their early folky stuff which was nice, if a little rusty in production (if I remember correctly). I'll pick up on your advice and check out some of their less early stuff as well!

Regarding other Norwegian black metal bands, I have heard something from most of them by far, but it's been a song here and there. It's seldom I've really sat down with a whole album (Ulver is one of few exceptions), but I'm definitely willing to go there if someone could point me in a direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Just off the top of my head, have you tried Gazpacho, prog rock band with a new album out this year (and reviewed yesterday by me)

I'll look for more...
I did give their debut (which is supposed to be fantastic) a quick listen, but didn't really put much effort into it and as such can't remember much about them. I'll give'em another chance and check out their latest.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys