Music Banter - View Single Post - Idea: Open Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Yeah, exactly as Merry says. I mean, there are no real rules, but would you read a journal --- at least regularly --- where there was nothing but a string of YTs and a few lines of text? The point is to make it interesting and fun to read, which is why I think a sort of open forum in journal form might be good. Get everyone's ideas, and as I say, for those who couldn't be bothered or wouldn't be able to maintain their own full journal it would be a way for them to express themselves.

There are no rules, per se, but I follow my own, such as proper spelling and grammar, and that the reviews must be relatively well researched (as long as they can be: see my review of Effrontery in "The Meat Grinder": I just could find almost nothing about them!), a usual limit of three videos per review, and the review has an intro to either the band or the album (or both), a midsection that discusses the album and usually, though not always, an afterword/conclusion. And a tracklist.

Things work better if you have some basic rules, so what I mean is I wouldn't want people just writing throwaway lines or putting in comments or not thinking through the pieces they write. Think of it less as a wall on which people can spray grafitti and more as one of those quilts people make that express their individualism. Think of it as something you should be proud of or at least happy with, that others can read.

That's all I mean. I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity; in fact, I want to stimulate it in ways perhaps even they were unaware it could be.

Do I take it you guys are in then, and if so, is that it or is anyone else interested? I know the thread has only been here since last night, but I see about 40 views and 2 replies. Hope to get more interest to make it worthwhile. If not then I'll just write it off as a bad idea. Let's see how things develop, if at all, over the next few days.