Music Banter - View Single Post - Fight videos
Thread: Fight videos
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #43 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Actually I thought they're called "pikeys" but I didn't know how offensive that term is, and I like the sound of "gypsies" better.
In the film they call themselves "travellers" and, in any case, they're a lot like Brad Pitt's family in Snatch, which was the first, and only, time I'd even heard of these people until I saw Knuckle.
Wikipedia tells me that there are 10,000 to 40,000 of them living in the US. Weird.
Pikies in UK, knackers here. Or as you say, travellers if you want to be PC (though they sure as hell don't travel far!) --- used to be tons of them living across the road from us in the 80s. You'd have broken cars, mad dogs, half-dressed children, fights breaking out, people selling things aggressively --- have you ever tried telling these people no? Here's an example.

BING BING!
Door opens
Knacker: Mornin' ta ya boss (everyone is boss, if you're male, missis if you're not) got these lovely duvets for sale.
Me: No thanks
Knacker: Only twenty euro! Sure how could ya go wrong?
Me: No thanks. I don't want any.
Knacker: Cost ya forty in the shops, boss!
Me: No
Knacker: All right then, how about ten? Ten Euros (pronounced "yoo-ras")
Me; No. No thanks
Knacker: All right then, what have ya got in yer wallet? I'll sell ya one for whatever ya have in yer wallet
Me: No thank you I don't want a duvet
Knacker: Lovely quality boss. Ya won't get these in the shops! (After telling me previously I will, but will pay twice his original asking price)
Me: No thanks
Knacker: What'll ye give me then for one o' these?
Me: Dont want one.
DOOR SLAMS SHUT
Knacker: (from outside door): FIVE Yooras then, boss! Only five!
Eventually he walks away; I hear him going through the same spiel next door.

If only they WOULD travel!