Music Banter - View Single Post - My Music Journal (and many other things)
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #73 (permalink)
Key

The Satch (A Story)

As Lisnaholic suggested, I am going to write a short paragraph or two about a few artists that I stumbled upon around high school. I was about...17 or 18 years old, can't exactly pin point which, doesn't matter. I was being suggested bands by a friend of mine who was highly into Dream Theater at the time, he lent me their Score DVD and the G3 DVD which featured John Petrucci from Dream Theater, so after having watched the Score DVD, I knew it was going to be good. Little did I know, there were two other guitarist featured on the DVD along with Petrucci, two guitarist that I have not heard of before, but really like their style:

Joe Satriani

and Steve Vai

I was able to find quite a few albums from each guitarist, but was mostly impressed by Joe Satriani, especially since my introduction to his music was Summer Song, and still to this day, that remains my favorite song of his, even though I have had a lot of exposure to all of his albums, even his recent one;

Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards

I didn't find as much enjoyment out of this album as I wanted to, I feel like he played it safe throughout a lot of it, and wasn't really much that was jaw droppingly great, fun album, but nowhere near what I was expecting.

Back to G3 and segway
The performance of Smoke On The Water that the three of them performed really got me interested in each of the guitarist individually. I had a few months of strictly listening to and searching for instrumental guitarist that I could find some sort of enjoyment out of; there was one that was a bit on the "unknown" status, Sebastian Cloutier:

I remember having to search and search and search to find just one full album that somebody may have somehow uploaded to the internet, so the satisfaction that came with finding the album was well worth the look.

Basically, I feel like most of the taste that I have grown to enjoy today was due to a close friend of mine lending me a few DVD's to check out, and I am thankful for that every day. It opened my mind to listen to new things, and in a way, it helped me grow a liking for prog and anything out of the range of style that I was used to listening to. I still listed to what I liked back then, but he really made me realize what all is out there.