Music Banter - View Single Post - Famous Musicians You Respect as People
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #62 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

i could spend hours citing some of the musicians i respect as people.

immortal technique is currently at the top of the list. he's not only greatly intelligent, but he's well-versed in the history of the world and able to juxtapose that with his knowledge of current events. he's all about spreading awareness through his music and his actions. he's self-made. he's probably well-off, but he's not rich, and he uses his label in part to sustain his family life and also to go to third world countries and build schools. and he doesn't take sh*t from anyone.

zappa is another person i greatly admire as a person. he broke boundaries with his music, his philosophies, and his way of life. he never ceased to provide a sound critique on social norms and customs. he was as dedicated to helping people think for themselves as he was to writing ground-breaking music. and he didn't take **** from anyone.

ravi shankar for bringing peace and merging "us with them" on a mainstream scale.

marilyn manson for his understanding of the paradox that is society and his embodiment of his critique through his work and his willingness to say things people don't necessarily want to hear.

ben howard cuz he's just a real gentle guy.

i also have a lot of respect for maynard james keenan. this is even controversial to me, because i have a feeling he's a total egomaniac. but, he's just so damn creative. from his visual art, to his various musical projects over the years, to his relatively recent foray into the world of wine-making, the guy just never stops creating. and in his music, egocentric as he may be, he seems to always attempt a confrontation with his own psychological shortcomings and those of the world at large with an intelligent and empathic approach.

i will probably come back and add more later. there are a great many musicians in the world i can pay tribute to...
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote