Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Improvement Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #1132 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Personally, much as with statements about "I DON'T LIKE THIS BAND" with no other content, I think relying on a youtube video to articulate your thoughts, without making any effort to articulate them yourself, is simply lazy and destroys discussion.

At the end of the day, if I'm in a music discussion with you, I want to talk to you, not youtube.

If you want to slam a band and voice your opinion, I don't mind, but give me the opportunity to disagree with you in a constructive way, by providing some semblance of a reason why you hold that opinion.

If you want to discuss the content of a link, then tell me your reaction and we can see if I pull the same reading from the content.

I think anything less than these things (None of which are complicated, and none of which are difficult), defeats the point of a discussion forum. I may be preachy about my likes and dislikes but I'll always try (or provide on request) my rationale, and engage in discussion about them. When someone doesn't do this it forms a closed dialogue, and honestly, it comes across as wanting to preach but never wanting to clarify, or listen to the alternative viewpoint.

I'm not asking for much, really.

[Youtube video] would become:

[youtube video] I think this raises some good points about x

"I hate [band]" would become:

"I hate [band] because [reason]"

and "[link]" would become:

[Link] I saw this, it made me think [thing], what do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote