Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #5375 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
In terms of graphics I think more game devs should be looking towards an exaggerated and cartoony style, because that can age incredibly well. I mean take Okami for example. This 6 year old game from the last console generation (which is debatable considering it did come out on the Wii) still looks better than many of the games from this console generation that attempted to do a grim and gritty realistic look by shunning colors that weren't brown or grey. I know it's a tired statement that people have been repeating for half a decade now, but the fact of the matter is that in 5 years time, Battlefield 3 will probably not be looking all that great when compared next to whatever game is using top range graphical power, but games like Okami, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Journey will still look as great, and even better if they get HD-rereleases like so many PS2 era games have had.
It's interesting that most of the examples you gave are from last gen. I can't really think of any games from the current consoles that were great artistically. You go even further back-jet grind radio and that still looks great.

However, I do think half life 2 still looks good even if you don't consider it a realistic look, it was still very close. The original crysis as well. Granted both those games were 5 years ahead of their time.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote