Music Banter - View Single Post - Thinkin' about collecting some vinyl, some questions...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
vinylmad
Groupie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
Thanks a lot for the tips guys! On Amazon, how do I know if I'm getting an analog or digital recording? Is it even possible to get newer albums (Like from 2006) on analog vinyl?
From my experience there are not many recent releases that are analogue.
I would suggest you hunt vinyl at Acoustic Sounds as they have a much bigger range of vinyl than what Amazon has to offer.
Look at what label has put the record out and do your research to find out if it is a good gamble or not. I've purchased heaps of vinyl this year and made some mistakes but also got hold of some real gems, but I have learnt a lot.

I can tell you that all the reissues done by Speakers Corner Records are fully analogue. They get the master tapes and do a straight analogue transfer to vinyl. They even use an analogue delay for the cutting process. Most others use digital.

Also Quality Records are putting out some great vinyl. Acoustic Sounds, Analogue Productions and Quality Records are all by Chad Kassem. He has been championing the production of superior vinyl for some time now.

DO NOT buy anything on the Simply Vinyl label as it is rubbish and sounds worst than a CD. I figure they are making the records straight from a CD. Terrible!

Led Zeppelin - Mothership box set vinyl is an example of a remaster that sounds worse that the original CDs. Earlier this year I purchased this and hated the sound on it. My old CDs sounded better. I sold Mothership and found some Russian pressings of Led Zep on eBay. They were new old stock from a factory that closed in the 90's. I took a gamble and purchased them. They sound great! Real fat rock sound. Not the quietest vinyl, but I'd rather have some crackles with great sound than clean tinny sound.

Some later release vinyl I have purchased does have a digital sound to it, while others have a full analogue sound which is really nice. Most recent purchase that comes to mind is Mark Knopfler - Privateering. It is on 2 LPs and the sound is great and a very interesting album IMHO.

Maybe if you let us know what type of music you are into, some artists you like or albums you are thinking of buying and we can go from there.
vinylmad is offline   Reply With Quote