Music Banter - View Single Post - 2012 a reflection....in 17 Movements
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

Default 2012 a reflection....in 17 (Bowel) Movements

this is reviews of the top 15 full length albums of 2012, 1 EP and one amazing reissue of 1960s pop

if you guys want i would love to even make a nice mix for you all at the end

1. Dernière Volonté - Mon Meilleur Ennemi

in the beginning Dernière Volonté was pure Martial Industrial...bombastic beats fused with war speech samples and crypto-fascist images....a pioneer in the genre....somewhere in the early 2000s Geoffroy D took the band in a new direction...creating something amazing and 100% original....Martial pop music....in the past few years he has teetered back and forth with the sound of the band....and this release to captures everything perfect he has done in the past.....all of the songs are fun, militaristic, danceable and with wonderful lyrics embracing the romantic side of war and the romance that is Europe....still a stand out band that really has it's own unique sound...well done sir

Top Tracks
J'oublies que tu existes
Mon Meilleur Ennemi

2. Kiss The Anus Of A Black Cat - Weltuntergangsstimmung

a big game changer for this amazing Belgium band....the sole main member Stef Heeren was talking all last year about this album....and consistently the words "electronics" and "different approach" kept coming up....so i was waiting for this with anticipation and caution....it works...he has managed to make an album that i think really will appeal to people who would not listen to much of their earlier works....while sticking with what we have always loved about his writing....hell the name of the album basically mean "looking like the apocalypse"....not really sure what to call them anymore....but i have to admit for as much as i love their older work....i am really enjoying where they are going

Top Tracks
Ruins
The Shadows Are You

3. Divorce - Divorce

out of all the bands i've been talking about here...i am so happy that people are starting to take notice of Divorce.....this is the follow up to their EP and man is this album nasty....seriously the best headache you could ever wish for....right from the get go you are pummeled with the chaotic nightmares of these Scottish masters....and the best part is there is no break from it....the drums and bass literally punches your face while the guitar shanks you.....and to add misery to pain the vocals are gut wrenching....can't wait for more and more from this band

Top Tracks
Aids Of Space
Stabby (Stabby) Stab

4. X-TG - Desertshore/The Final Report

it was first announced that the final Throbbing Gristle album would be a re-imagining of Nico's Desertshore just about a month after Peter's death in 2010...so in other words i've been waiting two years for this damn album....and it was well worth the wait.....i'm not sure exactly what happened between the three remaining members but obviously Genesis is at odds and has been omitted from the final release.....the first disc is amazing....all of the guest vocals are splendid and well done....specifically the Blixa Bargeld songs....for me it is such a treat to here Throbbing Gristle, with Einsturzende Neubauten, covering Nico.....perfect....the re-imaging is just what i expected....weird, surreal, nightmarish and beautiful all at the same time.....and surprisingly true to the source material....the Final Report is fitting....very ambient, sad and strangely soothing....but it really does not compare with the Desertshore album....a perfect end to what i would consider top be one of the most important bands in history

Top Tracks
Desertshore
Mütterlein (feat. Blixa Bargeld)
All That Is My Own (feat. Cosey Fanni Tutti)
The Final Report
Breach
Emerge to Space Jazz

5. Wovenhand - The Laughing Stalk

David Eugene Edwards is one of the few musicians out there that i can honestly say i feel can do no wrong....and with this swing into a more "rock" direction he has made a damn near perfect album....i feel like he is taking direction from late era Swans and even all of Angels of Light.....while continuing with his "gothic country" feel he has taken to adding wonder distorted guitar arrangements along with his haunting vocal style....i think Pete said it best....this is Wovenhand doing noise rock to the best of their ability....and it';s a gem....by far my favorite album of his since the days of 16 Horsepower

Top Tracks
Maize
Long Horn

Last edited by bob.; 12-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote