Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #253 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Let's also not forget that apparently she had them laying around with easy access. But I do concede that if Lanza didn't have any access to guns, he would not have used guns to make a statement. I don't think he would have just relegated himself to not making a statement at all, however.
Getting rid of guns might make it harder for suburban kids to get a hold of them, but it won't stop the crazy ones from being crazy, nor will it stop criminals in the U.S. from using them to prey on others.
See gun accessibility relies on the notion that the average person is responsible and will take appropriate precautions. but as we've learned, when that's not the case the results can be disastrous as with the case of Sandy Hook

Quote:
If you think Mexico's gun problem is the result of the U.S. having guns, then I can't really fault you for having that position. But if you think the U.S. somehow going *boop* and deciding that guns are no longer legal is going to actually change anything either here or in Mexico except regular citizens in the U.S. no longer having anything to defend themselves with except a sock full of batteries and a fireplace poker, then I hope I'm not around if you become the next contestant on You're The Latest Best Inadequately Unguarded Victim of Seedy Human Nature.

I mean, when 'Merica says "Ok gaiz, no mor gunZ nao!", I don't think it's realistic to assume they all just evaporate and suddenly the clouds dissipate and everyone starts having peace on earth. The only change here would be now those who didn't turn their arms in have a pretty awesome advantage over those that did. And That's the sort of thing that would probably instill confidence in those wishing you harm, knowing all you have to fight back with is a baseball bat.
All I'm saying is that the positives will outweight the negatives. Yes, some criminals will continue to get access to guns, a fullscale prohibition is impossible and unrealistic. I'm saying that having guns in the hands of a select few criminals solely is more safe than citizens, believe it or not. Since most criminals don't shoot to kill for the sake of it, it would mean a lot more routine robberies with no one getting harmed, only valuables taken and the appropriate reports being filed to the police.

That said, I don't think most criminals on the street (who make up the majority of the murders) would have as easy access to guns when they're exclusively on the black market. But it's true that most Mexican criminals get their guns from the U.S. So it's not unreasonable to assume that outlawing guns would make it more difficult for criminals to bear arms as well.