Music Banter - View Single Post - Al Oud by Hamza El Din
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Reading stp`s description of how it was made, I felt well-disposed towards this album from the start, and I wasn`t disappointed. The music may seem simple -just one guy singing and strumming - but in its slow-paced way, there is plenty of variety, with Hamza El Din really ramping it up a notch on the last track by allowing some handclap percussion too.

So, not what you`d call a broad musical palette here, but that`s not what this album is about. In fact the album`s two elements are neatly represented by the first track, Childhood; this starts with a captivating oud instrumental lead-in, but by the end of the track it`s Hamza`s vocals that win your attention.

I felt there was a special quality to Hamza`s playing and singing; he doesn`t show off, instead, what stp calls "a natural affection for the music" comes shining through. I see that you liked the vocal tracks best, stp, although I was more taken with the two melancholic instrumental tracks, especially the 11-minute Grandfather`s Stories - a track so languid that I wondered a couple of times whether it was finishing or not.

Altogether, I enjoyed this collection of songs so much that I`m voting "excellent" and will be checking out some more of Hamza`s albums. But first I checked up a bit about Nubia :-

Spoiler for You too can be an instant expert on Nubian history !:

One of the sadder things that can happen to a culture is to be overshadowed by a more powerful neighbour. *NUBIA IS THE FIRST AFRICAN CIVILIZATION - and dates back to 8 000 years B.C. according to this article, but then three thousand years later flashy Egyptian newcomers turned up to steal its thunder. Interestingly, because Nubians were black Africans and Egyptians were of a Mediterranean racial type, archaeologists were more comfortable labelling every acheivement Egyptian and downplaying Nubia`s contribution. The ultimate ignominy was in 1960 when Egypt built the Aswan dam, flooding Hamza El Din`s birthplace and other Nubian villages. No wonder that his album of traditional music from the region has a mellow and wistful feel to it.