Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #331 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Some people cope with stress by laughing. My wife is one of them so I don't really find it all that strange.
That's the first thing I thought of, and I'm good with explaining the laughter/smiling away (Even though it seemed like he was totally at ease). The part that throws me off a little more is the "process" he apparently took right afterward to get himself into the state of mind people usually expect.

Again, I'm not making any assertions here, and I'm willing to consider anything that seems legitimate, but the entire transformation from relaxed and joking to heartbroken father was, it seems to me, clearly a preparatory thing not for what he had to talk about, but how he had to come across.

I don't want to try and analyze this thing, really, but if there's one thing I pride myself on, it's the ability to analyze people. It's basically the only talent I've ever thought I had that consistently proved me right about myself and others, so I generally trust my gut about those sorts of things, even if that's nowhere near evidence. It has actually saved my life on one occasion.
Anyway, I say all that to say I am definitely open to alternatives, but the impression I get is of someone whose foremost concern at the time is appearing a certain way, and in this case, sorrowful. Whether that's because of the pressure of being filmed for media or not is another debate.
My argument in this context is simply, that if a normal father was in that position, with the same pre-roll film footage, he probably wouldn't have come across in that way.

Of course, I'm just making assumptions, as we don't really get to see footage before this sort of thing is broadcast, but just speaking as a human being that can identify with other human beings' behavior and what to reasonably expect in a variety of situations, this one does throw me off a little.
It's not this big smoking gun a lot of other people will probably make it out to be. But it's pretty interesting, notably because I have somewhat of a habit of focusing on human behavior and reactions. Of course, that doesn't qualify me for anything special. Just saying I notice that sort of thing whether I seek to or not.