Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #12683 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Just saw this too. I think this movie is easily on par with Kill Bill if not better, which would put it at about a 9/10 in my book. I do agree that the dialogue here was a little less remarkable than I've come to expect, but it's still better than what most writers write. It's not as good as Basterds was, but that movie was incredible so I didn't expect it to be.

Like Basterds, this one was really good with juggling the seriousness of the subject matter and creating compelling drama while also being totally fucking hilarious and ridiculous. The
Spoiler for spoiler:
flashback scene with Django begging for them to leave his wife alone
was really touching and heartbreaking for me, but Samuel L. Jackson worked wonders in bringing comic relief, even with racially-charged dialogue. I think I like him in this movie even better than Pulp Fiction.

Another thing I loved was the structure. The first half had spurts of violence here and there, but it was more of a tease of things to come than anything. The middle was more restrained, with lots of talking and tension-building, but when all hell finally broke loose I lost my shit. The gunfights were an absolute riot in the same way that the battle against the Crazy 88's was in Kill Bill Vol. 1.

I loved it and will definitely be seeing it again.