Music Banter - View Single Post - The Jazz & Blues Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #288 (permalink)
Blarobbarg
Do good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Would someone pm me a good newer jazz album that I can try and appreciate? I will report back with a mini review.
Alright, I've got a few for you to check out. These have all been made in the last few years, maybe 10 at the most.

Hidden Orchestra, Archipelago (2012). Electronic jazz fusion, with strong classical, ambient, and even hip hop influences. This is pretty damn good, I suggest looking into it first.

Yesterday's Universe: Prepare For a New Yesterday (2010). This is a "compilation" album from "various members" of the "jazz collective," Yesterday's Universe. All those words are in quotation marks because in actuality, every single "group" is just the hip hop producer Madlib. It runs from fusion, to funk, to free jazz, to bebop. This is a good starting place for his "Yesterday's" work, but he has countless albums and EPs with "verious members" of his "collective." Check em out, there's some really, really good stuff in there, I especially love his Stevie Wonder jazz tribute. By the way, it's good to not need any more quotation marks.

Bohren & der Club of Gore, Black Earth (2002). Okay. So. This German jazz band's members are all former members of hardcore and doom metal bands... then they formed a jazz group. So this ain't what you could really call typical. It's Lynchian, atmospheric, terrifying music, best listened in the middle of the night, driving in a rainy street, smoking a cigarette, or murdering your best friend. The rhythm section is minimalistic, the rhodes piano is basically just there to add feeling, when the piano comes up it may make a riff or two and then die out, and the sax is like a mumbling prophet of doom curled up on a sidewalk, waiting the apocalypse. So basically, this is really damn good, and you should listen to it. They've had several albums since Black Earth was released, but this is the album that got me into them, and it's possibly their best, though their earlier and later releases are all amazing, too.

BadBadNotGood, BBNG2 (2012). If you've been keeping on eye on popular music sites, including this one, you've probably seen this name quite a bit so I'm gonna keep my description short. This is a modern jazz trio with members all under 25 who have a punk rock attitude, and the cover hip hop and dubstep songs. It's pretty freakin' sweet, this may be one of the few jazz albums that you could slamdance to.

I have more but I've been doing this for awhile, and I need to go do some things. This should keep you busy for a bit, anyhow. If you want more or you're looking for a particular style, get back with me.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote