Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Workout Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #341 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
As I am bored, I have decided to post my 'routine'.

Fellow fitties, feel free to critique and suggest improvement, all exercises done for 3 sets are between 10-14 reps as I am aiming for hypertrophy:

Mon:

Chest - 3 sets dumbbell fly, 3 sets dumbbell press, 3 sets incline dumbbell fly
Triceps - 3 sets french press, 3 sets overhead dumbbell extension, 3 sets tricep hammer curl

Tues:

Back - 5 sets bodyweight pull ups, 3 sets barbell row, 3 sets dumbbell row
Biceps - 3 sets concentration curl, 3 sets hammer curl, 3 sets reverse grip barbell curl

Thurs:

Legs - 10 sets barbell squats (10 reps) OR drop sets OR pyramids

Fri:

Shoulders - 3 sets dumbbell forward raise, 3 sets dumbbell side raise, 3 sets barbell press

So that's basically it, all the exercises are changed regularly but the structure remains the same, every 4th week I switch from lifting for 10-14 reps with moderate weight to lifting for 5-8 reps with a heavy weight to shock the muscles. Currently I do no abdominal work. I need to add something for Abs, calves and hamstrings but I don't want to overtrain. Any tips?
I have a few things that you may want to consider. First off what is your goal? You say muscle hypertrophy but thats not really a goal. Anyone who is lifting weights wants that or they would not be lifting. Do you want endurance, size, pure strength?

Mon
I would recommend doing the fly excersizes (especially ones with dumbells) last. I learned this from Kai Green the bodybuilder, do your more compound chest excersizes first. I would start (after warming up of coarse) with either flat bench press barbells or dumbells since they will be working chest shoulders and triceps. If flies are done correctly it pretty much isolates the muscle group so you will want to do that last to get max hypertrophy. After that incline/decline barbell/dumbell is good as well. Important: When you are finishing with flies make sure you are going slow. (by this time in chest workout you will NOT need heavy weights) Slow controlled movments and hold when your chest is fully extended.

Tuesday
That all looks pretty good except that you will have to make sure your form on all the bicept work is very good. If not you will use other muscles that will be totally spent from your previous days workout. My point being make sure you are just working back and bi's. Overtraining is very dangerous and counter productive.

Thurs/Fri
Both look good but I would suggest instead of breaking your work out into this many days try to combine it. You may as well do shoulders when you do chest and triceps because you are going to be hitting them weather you like it or not on chest day. I actually split my workout into only 2 days. Upper body - back then Lower body +back. This way I am able to do erach body part twice a week instead of only once. You also do not have to set certain days aside for each body part. Work out a body part when YOU feel its ready. If its Monday and your chest is still a little sore....dont do it. If its Thursday and your chest is begging for it then go ahead if its feeling non sore and able. Listening to your body is very important.

------

Again what is your goal? The 10-14 rep range is good if you are going for less body fat, lean muscle, endurance. If you really want to gain muscle mass and get stronger faster you will need to do lower reps. More in the 4-8 range. You should BARELY be able to do the last rep or two. Also depending on your goal and what your body is like now your diet is a HUGEEEE factor. So let me know what your goal is so I can try to help! I am no expert but I do alot of reading and trial and error with my own body at the gym. And most o the advice I am giving is stolen straight from professional bodybuilders like Jay Cutler, Ronnie Coleman, Kai Green, etc...
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote