Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #424 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Funny you say that because until recently Europe was war-like. Britain was the other half of the American War of Independence. France had a bloodier revolution. Germany was fractured into minor states & political entities and no sooner did Bismark diplomatcally unified them into a single nation, Germany found itself in war. America fought in the both World Wars, but it happened in Europe, so how are European countries exempt from being violent?
Firstly, I DID mention that European wars had been spread out over a much longer time period whilst those in the USA were over a much more relatively shorter period, meaning that those in the USA have had a greater impact on more recent generations and the development of the country. In Western Europe there have been no principal conflicts since 1945 barring the odd colonial skirmish, the Falklands which was a joke and the recent Gulf and Afghan conflicts and these have hardly had an impact on society here. Wars only have a major impact on a society, when the nation gears it's economy up for war and its sons start coming home in body bags or start coming back in droves with traumatic stress.

Quote:
Forgive me if I don't quite understand what you are getting at, what is difference between the people who came to America prior to the Revolutionary War and the immigrants that came to America after The Civil War?
You're forgiven but I didn't address this at all but you seemed to have quoted me so I'll respond. In some ways I would say there is a difference. The early settlers are the real pioneers and are those venturing into the unknown, later immigrants have it just as hard and often face resentment from earlier settlers, but they had the advantage of knowing what to expect, along with usually having their own ethnic group getting/being established there, mass immigration into the USA has been a highly documeted, whilst that of other countries less so but I'd say the same principal applies to most countries that have high immigration.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 12-28-2012 at 04:41 PM.