Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #425 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Wars only have a major impact on a society, when the nation gears it's economy up for war and its sons start coming home in body bags or start coming back in droves with traumatic stress.
I'm not taking sides on this debate, but I just have to point out that our nation hasn't really geared it's economy up for war and relatively few of our sons are coming home in body bags, at least compared to other conflicts. I live in Hampton Roads, which is home to the world's largest naval base and a seriously military town. But I only know one guy who has gone to Iraq or Afghanistan and nobody who has died over there. I don't think our society is really being affected all that much by these conflicts. Again, compared to past conflicts.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.