Music Banter - View Single Post - Noteworthy roots & Americana albums
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I`m bumping this thread because the OP is packed with interesting albums and because it seems like a good place to respond to something Frownland mentioned:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'll definitely check out the Meeting by the River album with Ry Cooder, I haven't heard much of his work, just Safe as Milk and Taj Mahal.
^ I always meant to follow up on this comment, Frownland; sorry that it`s taken me, er, five months to do so.

Did you end up exploring any of Ry Cooder`s albums ? He has some great material, but a discography that can make you wonder where to start. Well, this would be my advice for someone looking at Ry Cooder`s stuff for the first time:-

(i) don`t expect to hear anything remotely resembling Safe As Milk.
(ii) be aware that RC is one of those consumately polite musicians; when he collaborates his intention is to let his collaboree shine, so you may not hear the real Ry on those albums.
(iii) when Gavin B. recommended Into The Purple Valley, the excellent double-cd complilation The UFO has Landed hadn`t been released. This compilation album is easily the best way to get a handle on RC`s bewildering scope of styles. It does what only the best anthologies do; pulls together the various strands of the artists work, so you end up making connections that you hadn`t previously noticed. It was only after listening to UFO that I could at last say with some confidence, "Ah, yes, that is the RC sound !"

PS. I wonder why Gavin B`s excellent thread starter was left to shrivel up and die like a slug under salt. Anyone, three years down the line, with a comment on the albums he mentioned ?