Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's boring mainstream Top 20 albums of 2012
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Trollheart's boring mainstream Top 20 albums of 2012

Yeah, most of you know my musical taste by now, and many, if not all, would consider it pretty damn pedestrian. There is no room in my collection for the likes of Death Grips, Frank Ocean, Swans or any of the other stuff you all seem to love and rate. Hey, I know what I like, and in general I mostly stick to it. If that's a crime, lock me in a cell and throw away the --- hey! Where are you taking me??

Seriously, though few if any will rate or have any interest in these albums, and they won't be in any way as eclectic, inspiring or interesting as the likes of Duga's or bob's or Goofle's, they're mine, and here they are, for what it's worth. The odd person here like Unknown Soldier, Big Ears or the mighty Anteater may recognise some of them, perhaps even have some of them, but sure if nothing else it'll give the rest of you a laugh. No point in being a poseur, say I, and pretending or trying to like albums or artistes I don't: this is me, straightforward, predictable and probably boring. Feel free to mock.

Oh, I won't be including any videos here. All of these albums have been reviewed by me in my journal, so head there if you feel like checking them out.

And so, without further ado, and to a chorus of titters no doubt...

Anthony Phillips and Andrew Skeet --- Seventh Heaven

The man who could have been in Genesis gets together with composer Andrew Skeet to produce one beautiful double album, completely instrumental and the closest thing to modern classical I've heard in a long time. Despite having stagefright --- which led to his departure from Genesis in the early seventies --- Anthony has gone on to lead quite a successful music career. Many people may not know that in addition to being a guitarist, Anthony is equally comfortable playing most instruments, and on this album he uses his talents to their fullest. Not forgetting Skeet, who in addition to co-writing all the pieces can tinkle the ivories himself. A nice album to relax to, and makes you wonder what Genesis might have been like had Phillips stayed.

Woo-hoo! "Under the infinite sky", "Ghosts of New York", "Ice maiden", "Kissing gate", "Nocturne", "Forever always"

D'oh! "Credo in cantus" (and only because it's an operatic vocal, the only vocal on the album)

Lynyrd Skynyrd --- Last of a dyin' breed

The godfathers of southern rock show that though their numbers may be thinning out, they still have it and continue to cut albums that sound both as if they were recorded back in the late seventies and yet seem bang up to date. You know what to expect: lots of songs about rockin', perhaps rollin', motorsickles, beer whisky and women. Ooh yeah. No pretensions here; these guys know what they're good at and they stick to it. Any serious rocker needs to hear this album!

Woo-hoo! "Last of a dyin' breed", "Something to live for", "Nothing comes easy", "Ready to fly", "Start livin' life again"

D'oh! "Honey hole", "Good teacher"

Jadis -- See right through you

It's been years since there was a new Jadis album. 2005 in fact, and it was the last one of theirs --- the only one of theirs, before this --- that I reviewed, the excellent "Fanatic". It was also the album that got me into this great progressive rock band. If you like your prog rock flavoured with some really good heavy-style AOR and a touch of pop, Jadis may be just up your street. Not as good as "Fanatic", but then, no Jadis album I've listened to since has been. But a great album nonetheless.

Woo-hoo! "What if I could be there", "You wonder why", "See right through you", "All is not equal"

D'oh! Nothing.

Okay, that's the first few of my top twenty. I'll be back no doubt to a chorus of boos and hisses and smirks, but back nonetheless, tomorrow.