Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #12693 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The movie takes place in the 1890s, which is when the first cars were sold.

Because they all worked for him.

I'm not saying it was the greatest movie here by any means—I found it pretty forgettable honestly—but these seem like odd, and easily explained, faults to find with it.
Well looking back at the first point it seems mostly those cars were sold in Germany, and certainly didn't come to the UK till a lot later. It's just a gimmick, I know, and you misunderstand: the two points above are just things that I noticed about the movie (I did mention that point 2 was more than likely explained if I had continued to watch the movie). Neither of these things turned me off the film, I just didnt engage with it. I started not to care what happened and nothing in it grabbed my interest. Without either or both of the above niggles I still wouldn't have liked it. I don't think RDJ was a good choice for SH: he hasn't got the calm manner and gravitas I expect from the role.

I can see that the producer/director just decided essentially to "sex up" Holmes, and that's all well and good, but it's not the Sherlock I was brought up on. I'm not even a huge fan of Holmes, but most of the actors who have played the part down the years have stuck to the one general interpretation (don't mention "Elementary", please!) and it just didn't sit well with me.

I'm not saying it was a bad movie, or a good movie. I didn't watch enough to make that assessment. I just felt it wasn't worth spending my time trying to get into it. If something isn't good or at least I have a realistic hope that it might improve, from the start, then I feel it's unlikely (though not impossible, of course) that it will get any better.

I just got nothing from the movie, and whereas I expected after watching the second to go looking for the first, I no longer have that urge.