Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Tool Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #401 (permalink)
Ashir
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
danny carey gets a ton of attention. both in the drumming world and the music world in general. and maynard actually plays a huge role in the arrangements, and also plays guitar and synths.

he says he writes his lyrics in such a way that he's not telling people how to think. he uses a vast array of archetypes and metaphors so the listener can have their own unique, personal experience that is largely the result of their own perception. it can get pretty confusing at times, and maybe a little frustrating, but tool wouldn't be tool if it were any other way.

i've had a hard time trying to find another band that can touch what these guys do for me. they reach inside you and start fistf*cking your soul. i've seen them live four times, and it's almost strange that they ceaselessly outperform their recordings. their sound-crew is clearly among the most dedicated in the world. not to mention the visuals. i highly recommend going to one on psychedelics. i did. aside from the spiritual aspect of it, i danced with my eyes closed the whole time and was somehow able to reinvent my understanding of odd time signatures and their relation to groove. my head has never been the same since.
Maynard plays the guitar? This is new!

Yeah, I agree. But as you said it's quite frustrating and bemusing at times. It's certainly not a comfort to have to dig so deep into the lyrics to decipher a meaning. But sometimes he does it well, notably in Stinkfist.
Ashir is offline   Reply With Quote