Music Banter - View Single Post - Giving Up Smoking
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowley
Music Addict

Location: 9th Circle of Hell with Dante...sipping tea. Enjoying the view, the smells, and the sounds.

Understatement of the universe for those who have tried: “it isn’t easy”. I’ve tried…a mentally and emotionally draining time; I still smoke.

Just my 2 cents (take it for what it’s worth, considering); you’ll never quite if you make dates, plan on ‘one last cigarette’, or even tell anyone you’re going to quite. That’s the big one, never tell anyone who you know personally that you’re trying to quite, or even planning on it. Its different for different people, some people like that emotional support, but at the same time, it may put unnecessary weight on your shoulders; and make you feel like you owe it to someone, or someone is counting on you to quite.

Try to keep in mind; NO cigarette is your last. I found that, during my smoking cessation, it was easier not to smoke when I had a pack of cigarettes on me. Having a pack with me at all times made me feel in control, and assured me that “no one is taking this away from me”, “if a want, I can light up”. - When I went the rout of throwing my packs and lighters away, I felt extremely depressed, anxious, and just an overall feeling of helplessness.

Making dates causes unnecessary stress, because it will make you feel like you have a deadline, and as it draws closer, you’ll dread it even more.

Now, I don’t know what kind of cigarettes you smoke, but if you smoke the chemical **** like I do (Marlboro, Camel, Pall Mall), it will be a hell of a lot more difficult to quite, because you not only have a nicotine dependency, but a dependency on a number of other additives, the things that give a cigarette that ‘kick’.

Believe it or not, switching to an ‘organic’ cigarette, or at least one with a significantly reduced number of additives in comparison to the big brands, will help. Some that are more widely available are Natural American Spirit and Nat Sherman’s for instance. Smoke something like that for awhile to wean yourself off the additives.

Again, this is just me; take it for what it’s worth considering I still smoke. I’ve only tried twice (seriously tried). For some people it takes a few tries.

Bottom line: don’t be so hasty about it. Pace yourself, let it come naturally.

I wish you luck