Music Banter - View Single Post - Giving Up Smoking
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Check this post mate - http://www.musicbanter.com/1266404-post21.html

I have some other tips and stuff, such as think of yourself as a non-smoker, not an ex-smoker.

I don't smoke anymore. I personally think, without sounding patronising, it is as difficult as you make it (I have thought this even more since stumbling across Allen Carr's method). My dad for example, drinks a lot and obviously when you drink you're more tempted to smoke. So he quits, then drinks as he normally would, then the inevitable happens. It would be easier for him if he stopped drinking too, at least for a period of time, but he claims it's fine.

Two things I think are important if you want to quit, are that you must really want to quit. The other is to be prepared to remove yourself from any temptation, so if that means avoiding your friends for a while, not going to the pub, do it. Find something else to do (set a fitness goal?) and work towards that. I know they sound obvious but there will be times as a non-smoker that you think 'one won't hurt' and that is the moment you must really want to quit. The worst problem for me, is that I sometimes have sleeping trouble and stuff. I keep some patches and Nytol in my desk next to my bed, so when that happens I stick a patch on and take a Nytol and watch a documentary and I'm fine. Cravings only last 5 minutes apparently but with insomnia I've eventually just smoked to fall asleep.

I cannot recommend that Allen Carr method enough. There is a book and a DVD, I have watched the DVD but not read the book, the DVD is about on the internet somewhere as a torrent. Should be easy enough to find.

Good luck Circe and everyone else quitting smoking.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote