Music Banter - View Single Post - Famous Musicians You Respect as People
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #113 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Carrie Underwood

I'm not a fan of Carrie Underwood's music although I believe she has a great voice, however when I read about her on Wikipedia I was *very* impressed by her as a person. I admire Carrie for her compassion, enthusiasm, honesty, and civic activism:

* She loves animals!
During college she worked at a zoo and at a veterinary clinic. According to Wikipedia, in a 2007 interview with PETA, Underwood stated, "Ever since I was little I loved animals [...] If you told me I could never sing again, I'd say that was horrible, but it's not my life. If you told me I could never be around animals again, I would just die." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_Underwood

Another example: Underwood is a supporter of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and has done several public service announcements for the organization and donated money to animal shelters.

* She is vegan (she avoids animal products so that she doesn't contribute to people's harming animals and ending their lives).
Wikipedia says Carrie "stopped eating meat at the age of thirteen because she could not stand the thought of eating one of her own animals." This reminds me of how I stopped eating meat in 5th grade and was the only vegetarian I knew. I know that takes a strong internal moral compass, and so I admire Carrie for having one that turned her toward her own North, even though those around her were probably heading South.

* She gives back to her community.
"Underwood established the Checotah Animal, Town, and School Foundation in 2009. The foundation helps with general causes, needs and services in the area of Checotah to directly impact the community." She also is involved with organizations that help raise money for children, cancer research, and the American Red Cross.

* She works to end bullying. "Underwood and her husband made a video for the "Do It For Daron" campaign urging young people to stop bullying."

* She played flag football Quarterback
(*I* played football in college, too!!!)

* She is honest and not afraid to risk looking silly.
During her tryout with American Idol, she shared her chicken cluck! That moment inspired me to learn more about her on Wikipedia, because I thought not only did she sing well, but also she had the personality that allowed her to cluck like a chicken! I admire that. She also admitted she had a third nipple and why she had it removed (she felt self-conscious). Beautiful honesty!

Carrie Underwood's 2005 American Idol Audition
I love that she "clucks" her way into the competition! LOL! I admire her pluck. She seems like such a lovely human. Seeing her happy made me happy.

Carrie Underwood American Idol 2005 Audition - YouTube

NOW ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE:

* I think Carrie Underwood has chosen to sing some horrible songs, such as "Before He Cheats," in which she viciously vandalizes her cheating boyfriend's car. WTF??? That's a horrible and illegal way to deal with jealousy and I don't see why she'd make a song that seems to promote such a juvenile and malicious reaction. If a man sang that song about damaging his straying girlfriend's possessions, I think people would feel really uncomfortable with that. I was surprised and disappointed that Carrie chose to sing a sexist song that promotes domestic violence.

I HATE THIS CARRIE UNDERWOOD SONG!
If I had only heard this song, "Before He Cheats," by Carrie, I would not have developed much respect for her because I'd disagree so strongly with her song choices. Luckily, I also watched her 2005 American Idol Audition video, which made me see she is more than just the musician who chose to perform this icky song.

Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-01-2013 at 01:31 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote